Booklists, Reading Correlations, and Reviews, Oh My!
By now it’s probably pretty obvious that I love books. I love to read them. I love to review them. I love to share good ones with others.
Because of the reviews I do, I sometimes even get to give stuff away, and boy, howdy! I just love passing on a blessing to someone else!
Honestly, when I set out to select a winner for a giveaway, not only do I say a little prayer (as silly as it sounds), I am also filled with joy as I write my little note to the winner. My hope is that whatever they have won will bless them and help them in their homeschooling endeavors.
So… after about the tenth person contacted me about Usborne books for various reasons (asking for reviews, match-ups, etc.), I decided maybe I should start looking into it more.
I noticed a few things immediately.
- The boys and I love the Usborne books we have (although I admit that I had purchased them through Amazon in the past because I never realized that Usborne was a book company with consultants you could order through).
- I have always thoroughly enjoyed home shows (remember Home Interiors? I was one of those home-decorator people!). And can I tell you? I am just BESIDE myself thinking about getting together with others to look through books. What could be more fun that that?!? (I would love to create a monthly chock-lit guild just to sit around and talk about books with other people! Maybe I’ll do that in my spare time.)
- Usborne has a program where you can offer free books to others. You can actually work with others to stock their library. To think I might be able to help others (maybe even a few who are facing a financial setback?) to build an entire library of books? That would be a thrill!
- By joining Usborne myself, I may be able to help someone else start a business that will provide the finances for them in a time of need (or maybe provide some extra cash just to take a family vacation?).
- This fits into what I’m already doing.
So here is where my love of books has taken me. I’m branching out here. I’m now an Usborne Consultant.
I’m still considering where this may take us one day. For now, I really hope to extend the giveaway aspect so that I can bless others with a great library of books. I’d love to get together with friends and friends of friends to look through and chat about books. And of course I want to add some more Usborne books to our own personal library.
But… can I share my heart with you? Can I share my dream? Can I?
[It scares me half out of my wits to put this into words. Really, it does.]
My dream… is that one day, maybe one day, my husband will be able to choose to board a helicopter that lands on the helideck of a drillship,
travel back home to Tennessee, and stay home with us.
Please don’t get me wrong. I am so thankful for his wonderful career. I really, really am. God has performed mighty works in Gary’s job, and I know he has made such an impact in the places the Lord has taken him. But I sure do miss him when he’s gone. Oh, how I miss him! And my heart breaks when the boys have to say goodbye every other month. It breaks when he misses a performance, or a a Memory Master achievement, or a birthday, or our anniversary, or Christmas. It breaks when Gary fears that Isaac won’t remember him when he returns.
So maybe starting a new business will one day allow him to return home to stay home. He won’t need to head back to Tanzania, or Angola, or South Korea, or Brazil anymore. I expect that it will one day happen [retirement], but my hope is that it will happen before we become empty nesters.
Really, this is a huge dream. And if you use any of our affiliate links, you are already a part of it. Right now, I still use our affiliates to pay the costs associated with this website (the huge migration to WordPress is actually in the works right now!), to give to missions and other financial needs in the world around us, and to provide funds for Amazon and other Half-a-Hundred-Acre-Wood-funded giveaways.
But then there’s this dream that it will one day be something more.
That’s another reason I’m prayerfully embarking on this Usborne journey as well. If you’d like to be a part of this dream, you can! You can host a show, join my growing team of consultants, or simply shop on-line at my Usborne store anytime. Be sure to check out the current monthly and biweekly Customer & Internet Specials, which you can only get by going to an Usborne party or by shopping a specific eShow. Or… take advantage of exclusive offers via our Half-a-Hundred Acre Books Facebook Page!
Click here to view the catalog of over 1400 engaging, educational, and exciting children’s books that your kids will love to read! If you need recommendations for Classical Conversations or for specific books to help your children get excited about reading, please contact me! I get a kick out of shopping for others’ needs and interests!
In the future, stay tuned for reviews of specific books. Whether you choose to shop our Usborne store or not, thank you for being a part of our lives!