|If you traveled west in a covered wagon..|
like this, you would NOT make it.
This PowerPoint Presentation on Manifest Destiny was a great overview for us.Though we did not get around to it yet, Pages 42-47 of Adventure Tales of America Student Activity Book deals with events surrounding the doctrine of Manifest Destiny and westward expansion. This workbook is intended to go with the flipbooks Adventure Tales of America Vol 1 and Adventure Tales of America Vol 2. As an overview, you can just go to Westward Expansion at-a-glance.
A great map to color code is: Map: Trails West (pdf)
We read Apples to Oregon by Deborah Hopkinson, which includes a a Unit Study on Homeschoolshare. I mention it here because it was such a cute tall-tale - we really enjoyed it as a family.
We went on an Oregon Trail Virtual Tour (Photography of landmarks along the journey) and watched an Oregon Trail Documentary
We played an Oregon Trail Jeopardy Game to see how much we knew. We learned some things by just trying to play the game!
Our interest in an updated on-line version of the old Oregon Trail Game ended when I had to eat Gary within about 2 minutes of playing the game. And I really lost my appetite that day. But for those who are not faint of heart, visit PBS: The Donner Party (for older students).
Other Westward Expansion Topics:
The boys Built a Virtual Sod-House
and played Rail Sail or Overland Mail, even though it doesn't deal directly with the mail on the Overland Trail. It was still a fun game for them to play.
Note to Self: Here's my list of activities I really want to do during Week 19 or at some other point during our school year.
- Oregon Trail Teacher Education Guide (158-pages of activities from Bureau of Land Management)
- 1843 Map of Oregon Trail
- Oregon Trail File Folder Game
- Learn about the parts of a wagon - interactive
- Interactive Trail Map
- Dynamic2Mom's Westward Ho Activities:
Westward Expansion Timeline (pdf)Our Reading This Week:
Westward Expansion Art Study
Westward Ho Coloring Pages
Printable Oregon Trail Board Game
Buffalo Bill Mini-Book
Daniel Boone Mini-Book
- Buffalo Bill and the Pony Express (I Can Read Book 3) by Eleanor Coerr
- Dear Levi: Letters from the Overland Trail by Elvira Woodruff
- The Oregon Trail - Pathway of the Great Migration by Beatriz Mojarro Ray DiZaxxo
- Apples to Oregon: Being the (Slightly) True Narrative of How a Brave Pioneer Father Brought Apples, Peaches, Pears, Plums, Grapes, and Cherries (and Children) Across the Plains by Deborah Hopkinson
- Excerpts from Scholastic Encyclopedia Of The Presidents And Their Times (Updated 2009) by David Rubel
We are still also reading Amos Fortune, Free Man (Newbery Library, Puffin) by Elizabeth Yates and listening to the Free Audiobook: Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, which includes a Teacher’s Guide. We are progressing at about 1 page per day right now. :)
Other things from this period of history that we will probably not tackle this year but hope to come back to in three years:
- The Wars of Expansion
- About Manifest Destiny
- Life Portrait of James K. Polk
- American West Timeline
- Manifest Destiny Crossword
- Worksheets on the American West
- Trail Facts
- Trail Learning Resources
- Pioneers and The Oregon Trail Squidoo Lens
- PBS: Buffalo Bill
- Modern Map of Oregon Trail
- Oregon Trail Virtual Tour
- PBS – New Perspectives on the West
- Get a Sense of What a Sod House Was Like
- Apples to Oregon Unit Study
- Teacher Guide to Sarah, Plain and Tall
- Schoolhouse Rock’s Elbow Room
- Westward Expansion Connections
- Oregon Trail Supplies Math
- Gold Rush Kids Site
- Oregon Trail On-Line Game
Once Upon a time....Life-Breathing The boys have thoroughly enjoyed these "Once Upon a Time" science videos.Build a Lung model is available but very similar.)
|What the activity called for. But the coke bottle kept collapsing,|
and we didn't have a piece of wood the right size to prop it open.
|What our model ended up looking like. |
We used a Karo Syrup bottle instead of a
coke bottle, and kitchen shears instead of
a serrated knife.
The Notebooking Fairy has a great Lie Versus Lay Notebooking Page, which we laminated and used to practice our Lie v Lay Principal Parts. She also has a blank Principal Parts sheet that can be used to practice other verbs. (For Weeks 11 & 12, she also has a Sit Versus Set Notebooking Page.)
Other worksheets we plan to use (and recommended by The Notebooking Fairy) are:
- Misused Verbs: Lie/Lay
- Using Lay and Lie
- Grammar Worksheets: Lie Versus Lay
- Grammar Practice: Lie Vs. Lay
Okay, so this took me a little over an hour. But at least I captured some of what my previous post stated. And we still won't be late for church.
Do you have a blog? I'd love to pay you visit to see what you're up to, so please feel free to link your blog to this post. Just lick on "Add Your Link" below.