- English Grammar and Structure through the Essentials of the English Language Guide
- Writing Structure and Style through Institute for Excellence in Writing
- Math practice through games and competition
- The better organized you are with Essentials, the better success you will have.
- Find a structured plan that works for you and stick to it. (Don't wait until the last day to write an entire paper from scratch!)
- For Essentials charts, abbreviations are OKAY. Don't stress your child out when he's not sure how to spell words like "interrogative."
- For IEW, SCALE BACK! (Like our tutor kept telling us to do.) My 3rd grader was sitting next to a 12th grader. Even though I tried to keep him from making comparisons, he still kept comparing himself to others. And for those children who do NOT want you to scale back, you don’t have to TELL them you’re scaling back.
- Be patient. It’s okay to spoon-feed words to your child when you are first showing him/her how to write. We are modeling quality writing for them, and they will be taking ownership of these advanced writing techniques over time as we model quality writing for them.
- Your child does not have to write everything out himself, nor does he need to have typing skills (though it would be nice!). If you have a reluctant writer, allow him to use the creative part of his brain dictating what he wants to say in his paper. You, as the parent, can write down what he says or type it. Then he can take over as you modify it for dress-ups together. For some people, thinking about what you want to say and writing it down on paper at the same time can cause the brain to overload.
- Whatever is needed, equip your child to feel successful. You do not want him to absolutely dread writing for the rest of his life. Learn together. Laugh together. Enjoy the time as you learn how to write better together.
31-Tab Index Dividers
10 Index Dividers
- Stylistic Techniques
- Models of Structure
- Strong Verbs
- -ly Words
- Quality Adjectives
- Five Senses & Emotions
- Transitional Words & Phrases
- Grammar Rules
- Charts & Checklists
Dear Essentials Tutors,
Our Essentials Tutor did an extraordinary thing for us last year: She held a free 2-Day "Popcorn & Pudewa" Seminar to watch the IEW Syllabus DVDs together. This was a tremendous encouragement, especially for a mother of a non-writer! I plan to go again this year - and every year - because there is so much to glean from it!
Also visit Institute for Excellence in Writing and create a free account to download audio and pdf freebies. And be sure to "Like" Institute for Excellence in Writing on Facebook so that you can receive announcements of their free webinars.
For more on how to plan for Essentials, visit Essentials: A First Year Survival Guide.